Dog owners want to give their pups the best life possible. That includes providing them with plenty of toys to play with! However, not all toys are created equal—some hold up better against avid chewers than others. In this blog post, we'll find some of the most durable dog toys for those dogs who just can't resist a good chew session.
What to look for when choosing a durable dog toy
Some dogs are pretty tough on their toys. Chewing is a natural and healthy instinct for most dogs. Don’t be surprised if your dog destroys their chew toys—they can’t help it, and you shouldn’t necessarily try to prevent it. However, high-energy dogs, bored dogs, or those with separation anxiety may turn to destructive chewing to relieve stress or pass the time. And while, typically, there's nothing wrong with a good chew session, it can quickly become expensive if your pup is destroying their toys too quickly. Furthermore, it can be dangerous if your dog has a tendency to eat everything that goes in its mouth (including the toy it chews apart). For these dogs, maybe the only thing they should be chewing on is something hard and edible.
So then, what should you do about your dog’s chewing? Find the best possible chew toy for your dog. Choose durable dog toys that will withstand some serious chewing while also satisfying your dog’s natural drive to tear something apart.
But how can you tell if a chew toy is durable? Here are a few things to look for
- Material: Avoid anything made of soft and flimsy plastics, foam, light fabric, or rope. These are all easily torn apart. Instead, choose toys made of semi-hard rubber, thick rubber, or nylon.
- Size: Make sure the toy is large enough that your dog can't fit the entire thing in their mouth. If they can, they may be able to tear it apart more easily. This is especially true of breeds with exceptional bite strength like pitbulls and rottweilers.
- Shape: Look for toys that are smooth with no sharp corners or edges. Anything with a lot of nooks, crannies, or dangly bits may be more prone to breaking. If a dog can hook it's teeth in the toy, they can tear it apart. However, you should note that some toys are intentionally designed with slots, holes, thin sections, or soft portions to allow a dog to feel like they’re sinking their teeth into the toy, without actually puncturing and destroying it. The durability of toys like these depends entirely on how prone your dog is to destruction.
- Playability: The best way to keep your pup from destroying their toys is to only give them a toy during active playtime. Any time you leave your dog alone with a toy, it's likely to be destroyed.
How to make sure your dog is getting the most out of his or her new toy
Once you've selected the perfect durable dog toy for your pup, it's important to make sure they're getting the most out of it. Here are a few tips:
- Encourage responsible chewing: If you want your dog to chew on their toys instead of your furniture, make sure you're encouraging them to do so. This means giving them plenty of praise and treats whenever they chew on their toy. When it's time for them to be done chewing, take the toy away.
- Keep it fresh: Dogs get bored just like we do. If your pup seems uninterested in their toy, try hiding it or adding some new treats to the mix. You could even pick up a toy that is designed to be tough and have treats hidden inside. This will help keep them engaged and excited about playing with their toy.
Most importantly, know that no toy, no matter how tough, will ever last. And you know what? They shouldn’t. They’re not supposed to last forever! Your dog is naturally driven to bite, chew, and shred anything it puts in its mouth. The best you can do is choose a durable toy and enjoy the time your pup spends playing with it. After all, that's what it's all about!
A couple of examples of our favorite durable dog toys on the market today
Tuffy’s Ultimate Dog Toys
Tuffy’s Ultimate dog toys are made of layer upon layer of tuff fabric, with the two outer layers being luggage-grade material, all covered in felt and held together by seven layers of stitching and cross stitching. As far as nylon-based, soft squeaky toys go, these are some of the most durable out there.
Classic Kong Toys
Some of our favorite durable dog toys are made by Kong. Kong makes a variety of rubber toys that are perfect for chewers. Their Classic Kong toy is a great option for dogs of all sizes, and they also have a variety of Kong Extreme toys that are specifically designed for tough chewers.
Nylabone Dura Chew
Another great option for durable dog toys is the Nylabone Dura Chew. This bone is made of thick nylon and is perfect for dogs who like to chew. It's also flavored with chicken, so it's sure to be a hit with your pup!
If you're looking for something a little different, the PetSafe Busy Buddy Tug-a-Jug is a great option. This toy dispenses treats as your dog plays, so it's perfect for keeping them entertained and engaged.
Thanks for reading our article on finding the right durable dog chew toy for your chew-crazy pup! If you have any questions, we're always happy to help. Feel free to give us a call, shoot us an email, or stop by your local Kahoots Pet store.